Our fourth tour of Northwest gardens in The Highlands was held on Sunday, June 27, 2010. This tour offered the opportunity to stroll three estate gardens, view the Florence Henry Memorial Chapel and conclude the afternoon with an elegant reception at the 1915 Olmsted designed Dunn Gardens.
The three Highlands gardens were designed between 1909 and 1937 by the renowned Olmsted firm and Noble Hoggson. See below for some details on each estate garden.
The tour was enhanced by music in each garden performed by Andre Feriante, flamenco guitarist; Ellen Wanless, classical guitarist; Mike Good, contemporary guitarist, as well as organ music in the Florence Henry Memorial Chapel in The Highlands. The Jannie Spain Band entertained at the Dunn Gardens. Dunn Garden docents were stationed in each estate garden to give further history and details of these stunning properties while our curators, Glenn Withey and Charles Price, were on hand to answer questions about The Dunn Gardens. Each attendee received a lovely gift as a remembrance and thank you.
The Dunn Gardens extends a heartfelt thank you to the event sponsors:
|Financial Resources Group
Independent Financial Advice
The first estate garden was originally part of a 29 acre Olmsted garden created in the early 1930’s for the Frederick family. It includes both formal and informal gardens and ponds. The gardens were renovated and expanded in 2008-2009 by Parterre of Seattle, with the addition of a winding drive that leads to a new dramatic formal entrance. The entrance is highlighted by a new fountain, colonnade and mature yew hedging. Other recent additions to the garden include walls and stonework to create a formal seating area and a lovely lawn terrace.
The Olmsted Brothers Firm practiced in the Pacific Northwest from 1903 until 1941. Their work in the Highlands began in 1907 with work on two residential estates. Of those two, the second estate on the tour was originally owned by early pioneer Albert S. Kerry, Esquire. The completed project was an example of cooperation between landscape architect, house architect and owner. Early clear cutting is now filled in with native trees and rhododendrons and azaleas giving a park like setting to this historic garden.
The third estate was built in the late 1930s by Noble Hoggson as his personal residence and garden. Hoggson was noted for designing the gardens surrounding the Seattle Asian Art Museum as well as many landscapes within The Highlands, Broadmoor and Windermere. Features of this garden include apple espaliers flanking the entry drive, a west lawn with linden and copper beech trees, and many native plants and trees. The garden is graced by a lower fruit orchard, pond and perennial garden.