Each year as tour season begins at Dunn Gardens a number of exciting meetings are scheduled. These are set up to educate our dedicated group of docents and volunteers. Docents serve as our 'ambassadors', leading groups of visitors through the gardens and interpreting its historic legacy. Volunteers lend an invaluable hand in a myriad other ways. This energetic, well informed group attends workshops, tours area gardens, acquires a detailed familiarity with the sophisticated plant palette in the Dunn Gardens and shares that knowledge.
Please let us know if you are interested in our docent Program or would like to volunteer in the gardens.
For more information, please contact us.
Check out the Gallery for pictures of the docent activities
Docent Program Details
- Training: Spring Orientation with meetings on periodic Tuesdays 10am-12pm through Tour Season (April~Oct., closed Aug.)
- Study guide: Dunn Gardens Notebook
- Commitment: Lead 6 garden tours a year (at your convenience)
- Plant Identification classes with our curators Charles Price & Glenn Withey
- Field trips to private and public gardens
- Lectures by noted local horticultural experts
- Free admittance to NW flower & Garden show by working at the Dunn Garden Booth
- Wonderful camaraderie while learning NW history, Olmsted design and rare plants in a beautiful setting
DOCENT PROGRAM: 2014
MARCH 11: First docent meeting of the season. Meet and greet old and new docents and volunteers. Tour of the gardens.
MARCH 25: Spring plant ID class with curators, Charles Price and Glenn Withey
APRIL 8: Field trip to the UW Campus with tree expert, Arthur Lee Jacobsen
APRIL 22: Susie Egan, owner of Cottage Lake Gardens, will speak on trilliums
MAY 6: Field trip to the Ballard Locks for a tour of the gardens
MAY 20: Field trip to the Kruckeberg Gardens in Shorline
JUNE 3: Plant ID class with Zsolt Lehockzy, Head Gardener
JUNE 17: Docent learn and share: Plants in our gardens and books
JULY 8: Field trip to the Herbarium and the Elizabeth Miller Library at the Center for Urban Horticulture
JULY 22: To be announced
SEPT. 9: Fall plant ID class with curators, Charles Price and Glenn Withey
SEPT. 23: Docents Judy Broom and John Longres will give talk on the Dunn Gardens Centennial Celebrations in 2015
OCT.: Docent and Volunteer Luncheon (date to be announced)